Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Web Marketing Class -- Kyle Ashby

I am currently taking a class in Web Marketing with Professor Kyle Ashby. He asked that we answer the following questions.

Q1) When you think of great web marketing or use of social media who, or what companies, come to mind?

A1) Mexican Coca Cola comes to mind. I'll tell you why. When preparing to answer this question, I asked myself, "Which company has marketed themselves thoroughly enough to have even cynical me visit their social media page?"
The truth is I have only ever visited one social media page that was not a friend's page. It was the page for Mexican Coca Cola.
The reason? Like many other people, I love Mexican Coca Cola! It is made with real sugar as opposed to the high fructose corn syrup used in the United States and thus, has a richer flavor.
The taste was different enough to have me Google the term "Mexican Coca Cola." I found a news story about the trend of people pressuring Coca Cola to sell more Mexican Coke in places other than San Diego (which is where I lived at the time). I found a Facebook page. The page was simply titled "Mexican Coke." It currently has over 20,000 fans.
Mexican Coke has been so well received that, in response, Pepsi created "Pepsi Throwback" which is a Pepsi made with real sugar.
Coca Cola is a company that has mastered their marketing. From inventing the American Santa Claus to successfully marketing Coke Zero, they have succeeded in selling the aura of their product.

Q2) Why do these people or companies stand out?

A2) Coca Cola stands out because they are always marketing. There are commercials, sponsorships, restaurant cups, and even theme park coupons on their soda cans.

Q3) What elements of their marketing would you consider good or effective?

A3) One of the brilliant things Coca Cola did was to make Coke Zero a cool marketable drink that at the heart of things, was essentially diet coke with a sugar substitute. Their Coke Zero bottles have a lot more black in them than the usual red for regular coke or gray in Diet Coke. This creates a new, yet recognizable look. And the design is what I would call a newer look.

No comments: